Thursday, May 19, 2011

Senator Demands IMF Chief's Resignation


Dominique Strauss-Kahn resigned as head of the International Monetary Fund, the IMF said in a statement Wednesday, as he faces charges of sexual assault and attempted rape.

"I deny with the greatest possible firmness all of the allegations that have been made against me," Strauss-Kahn said in his letter of resignation, released by the IMF.

Strauss-Kahn, 62, is accused of forcing a NYC hotel housekeeper to perform oral sex and submit to anal sex. He is also accused of sexual assault and attempted rape.

Kirk, who is in his first term in the Senate, added his anxiety over controversial bailouts of European governments -- including Greece, Ireland and Portugal -- that over the last two years during the European debt crises Strauss-Kahn had presided over.

“I remain especially concerned about the U.S. taxpayer share of funding these European bailouts and the American taxpayer’s exposure to new sovereign risks,” Kirk added. “While I have questions about the actions taken by the IMF to handle this debt crisis, the institution’s role in the global financial system requires strong leadership.

I want to protect this institution which I have served with honor and devotion, and especially -- especially -- I want to devote all my strength, all my time, and all my energy to proving my innocence.

No comments:

Post a Comment